Rice crispy treats, rice bubble treats, rice bubble squares; whatever you want to call these I do not mind, just know that they're freaking delicious. Growing up in Australia we had a lunchbox treat called LCM's, which were pretty much what Americans call rice crispy treats, and which I was never allowed to eat as a child and would regularly steal bites of off my friends. Nowadays I retrospectively thank my parents for actually caring what went into my body, but you know what would've been a great compromise? If they'd had the recipe for these babies. Healthy vegan choc rice bubble treats, eat your heart out.


What you need:

2.5 cups of chocolate rice bubble cereal (I use this brand because I am an ADULT) (you are welcome to use any brand you come across)
1 cup of rolled oats
1 tsp of vanilla powder
1 tsp of quality sea salt
3/4 cup of rice malt syrup

1/3 cup of almond butter

*if you can't source any choccy rice bubbles, simply use regular rice bubble cereal and add 1/2 a cup of raw cacao powder to the recipe


What you need to do:

In a large bowl, mix the rice cereal, oats, vanilla and sea salt. In a small pot, combine the rice malt syrup and almond butter. Heat on low, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes runny. Pour the wet mix into the dry and combine. Transfer to a lined pan, and, using the back of a spoon, spread the mixture out and push down evenly and firmly. Pop mixture into the fridge and leave to cool. Simple! I topped my squares with a chocolate sauce which was made from equal parts cacao powder, rice malt syrup and water, plus a sprinkle of hemp seeds for good measure.